Historical Markers and Memorials Sponsored by TSSDAC

First state marker dedicated in 1938

Save the Date: Re-dedication of Reelfoot Lake Marker May 27, 2017

For more than 75 years, the Tennessee State Society and DAC chapters in the state have raised awareness of place of historic significance through Tennessee. Five years after we were formally installed, The Tennessee State Society placed its first marker at the Washington County Courthouse in Jonesborough on March 8, 1938. The marker recognizes the Colonial and Revolutionary Service of Jacob Brown (1736 - 1785) and founder of Brown's Settlement on Nolachucky River.

Today, there are some 30 historic markers, tree plantings and memorials in 15 Tennessee Counties. Another 10 markers have been lost through vandalism or changes in land ownership. Information on the sites are organized below by marker type and then by county.

markers

Markers

Mansker's First Fort

County: Davidson
Location: Goodlettsville near U.S. Hwy. 31
Sponsored by: State Society
Dedication Date: 3/13/1981

Inscription: Mansker's First Fort. Here on west bank of the creek that he discovered in 1772, Kasper Mansker and other first settlers built a log fort in 1779. John Donelson's family fled here in 1780 for safety from Indians. Mansker abandoned the fort in 1781 and moved to Fort Nashborough. He returned in 1783, built a stronger stockage on east bank of the creek a half mile upstream, and lived there until he died in 1820. Tennessee Society Daughters of the American Colonists and The Historical Commission of Metropolitan Nashville and Davidson County. Erected 1981.

Hunt-Moore House

County: Franklin
Location: 518 Main St, Huntland
Sponsored by: Middle Plantation Chapter
Dedication Date: 2/22/91

Inscription: Hunt-Moore House 1852 C.A. Hunt. Middle Plantation Daughters of the American Colonists

The Columns

County: Hardeman
Location: W. McNeal St., Bolivar
Sponsored by: Col. Gideon Macon Chapter
Dedication Date: 3/12/1986

Inscription: The Columns (G.T. Ingram Home) Built 1860. A hospital during Civil War. Placed by Col. Gideon Macon Chapter, D.A.C.

E.W. Grove High School

County: Henry
Location: 215 Grove Blvd., Paris
Sponsored by: Col. Gideon Macon Chapter
Dedication Date: 9/10/1994

Inscription: Col. Gideon Macon Chapter Daughters of the American Colonists. E.W. Grove High School. Built in 1905. First privately endowed public high school. Smith Hughes Grant FFA Chapter.

Paris-Henry County Heritage Center

County: Henry
Location: 614 N. Poplar St., Paris
Sponsored by: Col. Gideon Macon Chapter
Dedication Date: 9/14/1996

Inscription: Paris Henry County Heritage Center. Home of O.C. Barton Built 1914. Museum for cultural and historical activities to enhance the present and future. Capt. Charles Barham Chapter National Society Colonial Dames XVII Century. Col. Gideon Macon Chapter National Society Daughters of the American Colonists.

Henry County Courthouse

County: Henry
Location: 101 E. Washington St., Paris
Sponsored by: Col. Gideon Macon Chapter
Dedication Date: 7/21/12

Inscription: Henry County Courthouse. Built in 1896 - West Tennessee's oldest working courthouse. Court - first held in Peter Wall's home in 1821. A log courthouse built in Clifty 1823. Two story brick courthouse erected on this land in 1825 and replaced in 1852. The county's first murder led to the landmark "State vs. Grainger" case (1830) that set a precedent for self defence as the basis for appeal. During the Civil War, Confederate military units were organized here in 1860 and also 1861. Union forces occupied the courthouse in 1862. Troops were sent from here in WWI and WWII. Silver dollars donated by citizens are melted in the bell in the tower. National Society Colonial Dames XVIIC Captain Charles Barham Chapter. Daughters of the American Colonists Colonel Gideon Macon Chapter

Historic Indian Mound

County: Knox
Location: 1600 block of Cherokee Blvd., Knoxville
Sponsored by: Knoxville Chapter
Dedication Date: 4/24/1974

Inscription: Indian Mound. This earthen mound marks the location of an Indian village. Such mounds were built between 1300 and 1500 A.D. They served as a base upon which a structure was placed overlooking the village plaza. Erected by Knoxville Chapter, NSDAC. Through a grant from the Toms Foundation.

Realfoot Lake

County: Lake
Location: Reelfoot Lake, Spicer Park, Samburg
Sponsored by: State Society
Dedication Date: March 1985 - Relocated/Rededicated 5/27/2017

Inscription: Reelfoot - An Earthquake Lake. Reelfoot Lake is a by-product of the "New Madrid Earthquakes", a series of 1,874 recorded tremors centered generally about 70 miles southwest of the Lake, taking place from December 16, 1811 until March 8, 1812. The "hard shock" came at 3 A.M. Friday, February 7, 1812. These shocks could be felt over an area of one million square miles from Canada to the eastern seaboard and New Orleans. Witnesses reported that the earth and the river were torn with furious convulsions. During the quakes ground waves near the epicenter moved a foot to and fro creating sunken lands, fissures, landslides and land domes. Sand blows erupted belching hot water, mud, fumes, coal and carbonized wood. These explosions coupled with the crashing of timbers falling of banks along the river and the cries of frightened wildfowl created a terrible rumbling and roar. The air smelled of sulphur and the sky was usually dark and dreary.

When the savage tremors subsided, Reelfoot Lake was born and thirty to fifty thousand square miles of land had undergone vast topographical changes most of which are visible today. Although these were among the most powerful shocks to strike North America within historic times, few lives were lost as the area was sparsely settled. Powerful earthquakes occurred here before 1811 and are now estimated to occur at intervals of about 600 years.

Jackson's First Free Library

County: Madison
Location: 305 E. College St.
Sponsored by: Col. Gideon Macon Chapter
Dedication Date: 11/10/1990

Inscription: Jackson's First Free Library. Built by grant from Andrew Carnegie. Marked by Col. Gideon Macon Chapter Daughters of the American Colonists. Nov 19, 1990

Bemis United Methodist Church Pasonage

County: Madison
Location: Corner of 5th St. and Massachusetts Ave., Bemis
Sponsored by: Col. Gideon Macon Chapter
Dedication Date: 9/14/2002

Inscription: Bemis United Methodist Parsonage Built by J.M. Bemis, founder of Bemis Brothers Bag Company as a home for the first manager of the mill, J.B. Young. This home was occupied by members of the Young family until 1961, when it was given to the Methodist Conference to be used as a parsonage for the Bemis United Methodist Church. Colonial Gideon Macon Chapter Tennessee Society Daughters of the American Colonists. Marked Nov. 11, 2001

Bethlehem Cumberland Presbyterian Church

County: Obion
Location: 4229 Bethlehem Rd., Union City
Sponsored by: Union City Chapter
Dedication Date: March 1985

Inscription: Bethlehem Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Est. 1837 in log cabin land donated by Rev. J.W. Ward present church built 1891. Organizing members include Elisha Parker first settler in Obion Co. and members of Totten, Holloman, Yachum, St. John, Ward, Byrd, Maxwell, Matheny & Duncan families. Union City Chapter NSDAC

Old Campground Cemetery

County: Obion
Location: Obion
Sponsored by: Union City Chapter
Dedication Date: March 1985

Inscription: Campground Cemetery. Est. C. 1833. Buried here families who founded Obion County in 1824. Union City Chapter D.A.C. 1984

Ancient Trails

County: Rutherford
Location: Murfree Springs, Murfreesboro
Sponsored by: NSDAC
Dedication Date: 11/20/2002

Inscription: Ancient Trails. Three principal Indian and pioneer trails cut across Rutherford County connecting the Great Lakes to the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Coast substantially following animal trails to salt and water. Great South Trail continued to Alabama and Mississippi; Black Fox Trail ran east to the Hiwassee River; and Cisca and St. Augustine main trail and Nickajack branch passed near this marker and ran southeast through Augusta, Georgia. National Society Daughters of the American Colonists. Project of the 2000-3 adminstration Mary Ann G. Hepler, National President. Regina East, Tennessee State Regent

Porter House

County: Shelby
Location: West of Collierville
Sponsored by: Jamestown Chapter
Dedication Date: 8/24/1991

Inscription: Porter House 1840. Marked by Jamestown Chapter Daughters of Am. Colonists August 1991

Fleming-Duke House

County: Shelby
Location: 1545 S. Byhalia Rd., Collierville
Sponsored by: State Society
Dedication Date: 5/18/1991

Inscription: Fleming-Duke House 1858 Chickasaw Cession. Tennessee Society Daughters Am. Colonists

Great Indian Warrior Trading Path

County: Sullivan
Location: Duck Island, Warriors Path State Park
Sponsored by: NSDAC
Dedication Date: 2/1/2003

Inscription: The most heavily traveled road in Colonial America passed through here, linking areas from the Great Lakes to Augusta, GA. Laid on ancient animal and Native American Trading/Warrior Paths. Indian treaties among the Governors of NY, PA & VA and the 19 chiefs of Iroquois League of Five Nations in 1685 and 1722, opened the Colonial Backcountry for peaceful settlement and colonization. In VA, at the Great Salt Lick, the Path forked and to the West and into TN was known as the Great Wilderness Road to Nashville. (National Society Daughters of the American Colonists Project of the 2000-2003 Administration).

Jacob Brown

County: Washington
Location: Washington County Courthouse, Jonesborough
Sponsored by: State Society
Dedication Date: 3/8/1938

Inscription: Jacob Brown, 1736 - 1785. Colonial and Revolutionary Service. A native of South Carolina, Founder of Brown's Settlement on Nolachucky River, 1771; Merchant, gunsmith and blacksmith for the Cherokee Indians; purchased from those Indians two boundaries of land. A veritable principality in 1775; was appointed commissioner to make treaties with the Indians; Captain Under Sevier in the Battle of King's Mountain, 1780; Major under Sevier in the Revolution, 1781; and in the militia of the State of Franklin, 1785; ancestor of two Governors Brown of Georgia. Placed by the Tennessee Daughters of the American Colonists March 8, 1938

First English Speaking Visitors

County: Washington
Location: Tipton-Hayes Farm near Johnson City on South Roan St.
Sponsored by: State Society
Dedication Date: 8/24/1975

Inscription: Daughters of the American Colonists. 1673 - James Needham & Gabriel Arthur, firest English speaking visitors, passed here en route to the Cherokee towns on the Little Tennessee River. 1760 - Daniel Boone's hunting camp at the Bold Spring. Placed by the Tennessee Society of the DAC 1975.

Mt. Vernon Methodist Church

County: Weakley
Location: SR 89, Sharon
Sponsored by: Isaac Dawson Chapter
Dedication Date: 3/19/1982

Inscription: Mt. Vernon Methodist Church Organized 1823. This place of worship is a living memorial to the noble pioneers who settled here. Presented by Isaac Dawson Chapter Daughters of the American Colonists March 19, 1982

New Salem Cumberland Presbyterian Church

County: Weakley
Location: Highway 89, east of Sharon
Sponsored by: Isaac Dawson Chapter
Dedication Date: 10/28/1989

Inscription: New Salem Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Organized 1849. This Church is a memorial to our heavenly father and to the devoted poineers of the land. "So built we the wall for all the people had a mind to work." Nehemiah 4:6. Presented by Isaac Dawson Chapter.